Stephen Covey's book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" is a popular one for educators and districts. Alamo's School Leadership Team felt that it paired perfectly with the district's current focus on PRIDE, which stands for:
Determination to succeed
There is a children's book that makes the lessons in Covey's adult version easy for them to understand. Each teacher has the book and read it to their class at the start of the year. Along with the PRIDE words, students will also focus on the 7 habits:
- Be proactive - you're in charge
- Begin with the end in mind - have a plan
- Put first things first - work first, then play
- Think win-win - everyone can win
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood - listen before you talk
- Synergize - together is better
- Sharpen the saw - balance feels best
Each habit comes with a longer description and is used for class discussion. Those are also sent home with additional suggestions on how to use the seven habits at home for parents.
All of this is to help build leadership skills in students.